Monday 15 September 2014

Gjallarstadir Viking Market

I moved into student housing in Oslo a few weeks ago and as chance would have it, the person in charge of the house I live in happens not only to be a fellow viking - he belongs to the same viking group I've just joined. There are vikings popping up everywhere around me, and it's amazing. Yay for friends I won't bore with my talk of VIKINGS!

Gjallarstadir was the most relaxed market I've been to so far. I got to say hello to a few of my new vikings (and then hide from them because they were scary...).

My viking clothes arrived at my new place the day before market. I celebrated the 
end of this painful separation by wearing all. of. the. jewellery.

I'd brought a civilian to the market and we originally planned to leave when it closed around six. But a few minutes before closing time, we happened to meet a few people we sat down with and we ended up not leaving before half past eight, after sharing mead, sausages, stories and I got to pet their dog. I'm a shy person, so whenever I start talking with strangers out of nowhere it's like magic.

A lot of the viking enthusiasts my age come to markets only during opening times, and it's so sad. The viking fun happens when the normal people are gone - the mood at market after closing time is the best thing ever and I can't explain it, it's a thing that has to be experienced.

brb joining the Night's Watch.

Gjallarstadir was the last market for this season and since many of the foreign sellers pack up shop now, I got an enormous sheepskin for 600 NOK. Bargain! I named it Børre and it's super floofy! I just hope it'll stop smelling like sheep so I can stand to snuggle in it. Hopefully I can sleep on it next time I camp at market.


This is my first market where I haven't bought shiny pretties or sewing stuff. This time my loot consists of food and a few rabbit furs from a nice seller. The sausage is hand-made, with moose and deer meat and chantarelles. Heaven. And that piece of meat is dried horsemeat.

In addition I bought some cherry honey for autumn tea and a dried reindeer heart that I gifted to my civilian as thanks for driving me to market. I can't start to say how pleased I am with the fact that I was able to give away a dried heart as heartfelt thanks and not have the recipient freak out. (She's a really cool lady.)

No comments:

Post a Comment